Flood is a major water damage occurrence, its effect have been known to cause a lot of negative effect to lives and property. It is one of the major natural disaster, flood victims need to be aware of how to ensure a safe clean-up process after a flood incident. The aftermath effects of flood incidents can often be more than the damage it causes when it occurs. If a proper clean-up process is not ensured, it could lead to potential health risk and bigger problems for flood victims. Sanitary Experts advises that both flood victims and residents of area where the flood had occurred should carry out a disinfection operation on all objects or materials that the flood has touched. Two percent chlorine bleach solution with water is required for scrubbing down all hard surfaces and floors that the flood passed through, the chlorine bleach can be measured in two or three capful which can be added to the water needed for the scrubbing. Safety apparatus like boots and gloves are required to be worn by those who will carry out the disinfection.
Safety Health Precautions to be taken after a flood incident
- Enter a flood damage room with care: After a flood incident, different parts of the building get prone to fall, safety apparatus is need to be worn while entering a flood damaged room. Such safety apparatus may include head gear to avoid plaster falling over the head, safety boots to avoid stepping on nail.
- All electrical equipment’s and gas should be turned off immediately: There are potential risk of electrocution in rooms that have been affected by flood. It is important that when entering such rooms, rubber boots and gloves be worn in order to switch off all electrical appliances and gas to avoid any further complications.
- Avoid allowing open wounds or scratches come in contact with the flood water;. Flood waters cannot be trusted as they are high chances that they have been heavily contaminated. Sewage is often transported to different places during flood incidents leading to a contamination of all areas touched by the flood. Wounds or scratches sustained during flood incidents should be treated immediately with tetanus injection.
- Avoid edibles that have come in contact with flood waters:. Foods, drinks and other edibles that have been contacted by the flood should be thrown away. Flood waters are highly contaminated with bacteria. Also plates, spoons and other kitchen utensils should be properly cleaned and washed thoroughly with bleach solution and water.
- Foods and other edibles that have been refrigerated should be checked once there is power outage;. Items kept in the freezer or refrigerator should be checked. Any item that have been defrosted either partially or completely should be thrown away.
- Boil water before use either for drinking or cooking:. Once a drinking water is detected to have some offensive odor or unusual colour or cloudy, it is advised that the water be put in a rolling boil. Such water has to be boiled to one hundred degree Celsius before use for whatever purpose it is intended to serve.
Following these set of guidelines would afford one to have a proper clean-up process after a flood incident and most importantly avoid any further complication.